What Middle Schoolers Want to Know About Programming
December 10, 2020
Almost a year ago to the day I wrote about What Seventh Graders Want to Know About Programming. This year, I was given the same opportunity to speak to a group of middle school students from the same school about programming. Below are their unedited questions.
Themes this year were learning tips, video games, and career questions.
- How long did it take you to truly become good at coding. Was it hard, confusing?
- During the process of learning about computer programming, what was the most difficult trial you have faced during the learning process?
- What would you call a coding masterpiece?
- How do you create a website, and how to make websites link to another?
- When programming and inserting codes into a program, is it mandatory/do you have to memorize all of the codes that you need to put into the program? Or do you have some kind of code sheet with general codes?
- What your favorite coding language?
- How does coding work? Is it like Minecraft? Just put something in a certain order, certain form, and then you get something else? Would it be like taking items and just crafting whatever you can? And is it easy?
- How long would it take to code a game all by yourself?
- If I want to design a video game of some sort, what basic skill would be required to do so?
- What happens if you mess up on a line of code after working on the code for hours?
- What is one of the hardest projects you’ve had to take on and what made it so difficult?
- Is computer coding a job that can help you financially throughout your life?
- Is being a computer scientist ever stressful?
- Whats your favorite part of your job?