What Seventh Graders Want to Know About Programming
December 11, 2019
Today I had the opportunity to speak with a group of 7th grade students about programming and a career in software engineering.
These students gave up their lunch period for the opportunity to learn.
Below are their unedited questions. Common themes were learning tips, career advice, and, surprising to me, the intersection of art and code.
I found it heart-warming that such young individuals could ask such poignant questions. It gives me great hope for the future.
- What program did you learn first?
- When did you start programming and with what language?
- How much do you make per year?
- How would you program a game using pre-existing art?
- Where do I start?
- How did you start your programming career?
- Was it hard to become a professional in programming?
- Can you suggest tips to become a pro programmer?
- How do I get a job for coding?
- What food is best to eat before extensive and intensive coding/web designing?
- How closely does coding and art go together?
- In animation, how does coding relate to the actual art?
- How many languages do you know?
- Is coding worth it?
- Make any video games?
- Do you animate?
- Where is a good college to find a job?
- What is the most flexible code language?
- How did you get into programming?
- Have you programmed any games, and how stressing is this process? (How much does this take a toll on your mental health?)
- Do you mainly do freelance web-design or do you professionally do it? Do you have any tips for me on how to improve my coding and typing skills?